Dr. Khurram is an Associate Professor in the Decision Sciences Cluster and Program Head of MS Business Analytics at KSBL. Before joining KSBL he was the Chief Scientist and VP of Engineering at a Silicon Valley Startup. Prior to that, he worked as the Head of R&D at Love for Data, and for Ibex (TRG) as a Senior Data Scientist to develop cutting-edge predictive text analytics solutions for several Fortune 500 brands.
He has almost 20 years of experience working in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in general and natural language processing in particular. He has several years of experience in research, teaching, publications, and developing ML solutions for the industry. He has supervised teams of various sizes in industry and academia and has supervised Ph.D. thesis, MS thesis, Independent Studies, and MS, and BS projects.
He completed his Postdoc and Ph.D. from the Singapore University of Technology & Design, Singapore, and the Lahore University of Management Sciences, Pakistan, respectively. He holds an international patent and has authored a few dozen journal publications, conference papers, and book chapters in refereed conferences out of which several are ranked as A* in CORE rankings. His research work has been cited more than 1000 times.
His academic and industry experience is a rare blend that is quite helpful in doing applied research, building products, and mentoring students and professionals alike.
- Ph.D. Computer Science, Lahore University of Management Sciences, 2012
- MS, Information Engineering, AI, & Theoretical CS, Lahore University of Management Sciences, 2007
- BS (Hons), Computer Science, University of Karachi
Awards & Achievements
- Singapore University of Technology & Design Research Fellowship Award, 2015 – 2016.
- Performance Award (1st position), Discovery Challenge, ECML, 2006
- Second Position, Discovery Challenge, ECML, 2007
- Lahore University of Management Sciences PhD Fellowship Award, LUMS, 2006 — 2011
- HEC Indigenous Fellowship Award, HEC, 2004 — 2009
- Google and KD Ubiq Travel Award for ECML, 2006
- Chief Scientist & VP of Engineering, and Head of QA, QLU.ai. 2021 – 2023
- Head of Research & Development, Love for Data. 2020 – 2021
- Program Architect (Senior Data Scientist), Ibex (TRG). 2018 – 2020
Teaching & Research Experience
- Post Doc Research Fellow, Singapore University of Technology and Design. 2015 – 2016
- Assistant Professor, PAF-Karachi Institute of Economics and Technology. 2013 – 2018
- Assistant Professor, National University of Comp. & Emerging Sciences (NUCES – FAST). 2011– 2013
- Visiting Faculty, University of Karachi. 2011
- Research Associate, Lahore University of Management Sciences. 2008 – 2010
- Research Assistant, Lahore University of Management Sciences. 2006 – 2008
Research Community Service
- Reviewer: ACM KDD, Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, Expert Systems with Applications, Neural Processing Letters, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Informatics for Health and Social Care, Scientific Research and Essays, Conference on Language and Technology, Indian Journal of Science and Technology.
- Technical program committee member: INMIC, International Conference on Information & Communication Technologies, and Conference on Data Science.
- Leadership and Decision Making, Ibex.
- Problem Solving and Conflict Management, Ibex.
- Secure Development Practices, Ibex.
- Time Management
- Fatima Fertilizers, 2023
- Qordata, 2023
- Qualix Solutions, 2023
Publication and Research
For an updated list of my publications please visit: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=gsbePboAAAAJ&hl=en
- International Patents
- M Azmi Umer, Khurum Nazir Junejo, Aditya Mathur, & Sridhar Adepu, “A method of generating invariants for distributed attack detection, and apparatus thereof”, US Patent App. 16/754,732, 2020.
- Journal Publications
- M. Azmi Umer, Khurum Nazir Junejo, MT Jilani, & Aditya Mathur, “Machine learning for intrusion detection in industrial control systems: Applications, challenges, and recommendations”, International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection. Elsevier, 2022. Journal impact factor 3.68.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, Asim Karim, Malik Tahir Hassan, & Moongu Jeon, “Terms-based Discriminative Information Space for Robust Text Classification”, Information Sciences, 372: 518-538, 2016. Elsevier. Journal impact factor 8.23.
- Owais Ahmed, & Khurum Nazir Junejo, “Predicting Treatment Outcome of Tuberculosis: An Application of State-Of-Art Machine Learning Models”, Informatics for Health and Social Care, 135-151, 2019. Taylor & Francis. Journal impact factor 3.08.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Asim Karim, “Robust Personalizable Spam Filtering via Local and Global Discrimination Modeling”, Knowledge and Information Systems, 34.2: 299-334, 2013. Springer. Journal impact factor 2.53.
- Imran Junejo, Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Zaher Al Aghbari, “Silhouette-based Human Action Recognition using SAX-Shapes”, The Visual Computer, 30.3: 259-269, 2014. Springer. Journal impact factor 2.83.
- Iftikhar ul Sami, & Khurum Nazir Junejo, “Predicting Future Gold Rates using Machine Learning Approach”, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 8.12: 92-99, 2017. The Science & Information Organization
- Waqar Ahmed, Maria Mushtaq, Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Mohammad Yaseen Khan, “A Comparison of Supervised Learning & Lexicon Approaches for Sentiment Analysis on Product Reviews in the Absence of Labelled Data”, Malaysian Journal of Computer Science, 33.2: 18-132, 2020. Journal impact factor 0.43.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, “Predictive Safety Assessment for Storage Tanks of Water Cyber Physical Systems Using Machine Learning”, Sadhana Academy Proceedings in Engineering Sciences, 45, 61. Springer Nature, 2020. Journal impact factor 1.21.
- M. Azmi Umer, Sridhar Adepu, Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Aditya Mathur, “Generating invariants using design and data-centric approaches for distributed attack detection”, International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection. Elsevier, 2020. Journal impact factor 3.68.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, “A Novel Pixel-Based Supervised Hybrid Approach for Prediction of Land Cover from Satellite Imagery”, Indian Journal of Science & Technology, 13 (17): 1786-1794, 2020. Indian Society for Education and Environment.
- M. Yaseen Khan, & Khurum Nazir Junejo, “Exerting 2D-Space of Sentiment Lexicons with Machine Learning Techniques: A Hybrid Approach for Sentiment Analysis”, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 11 (6): 599-608, 2020.
- Waqar Ahmed, Mahwish Amjad, Khurum Nazir Junejo, Tariq Mahmood, Ayaz H. Khan, “Is the Performance of a Cricket Team Really Unpredictable? A Case Study in Machine Learning”, Indian Journal of Science & Technology, 2020. Indian Society for Education and Environment.
- Asim Rafique, Malik Tahir Hassan, Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Moongu Jeon, “Boosting Discrimination Information based Document Clustering using Consensus and Classification”, IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 78954-78962, 2019. Journal impact factor 3.47.
Chapters, Conference & Workshop Publications
- M. Azmi Umer, MT Jilani, Asif Rafiq, Sulaiman Ahmad Naz, & Khurum Nazir Junejo, “A Conceptual Analysis of IoT in Healthcare” in Big Data Intelligence for Smart Applications. Studies in Computational Intelligence, Springer 2022.
- M. Azmi Umer, M. Taha Jilani, Khurum Nazir Junejo, Sulaiman Ahmad Naz, & Conrad Walter D’Silva, “Role of Machine Learning in Weather Related Event Predictions for a Smart City” in Machine Intelligence and Data Analytics for Sustainable Future Smart Cities, Springer 2021, Switzerland.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, “Distribution Shift Resilient Discrimination Information Space for SVM Classification”, 8th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference, 2017, Canada.
- M. Azmi Umer, Aditya Mathur, Khurum Nazir Junejo & Sridhar Adepu, “Integrating Design and Data Centric Approaches to Generate Invariants for Distributed Attack Detection”, 3rd ACM Workshop on Cyber-Physical Systems Security & Privacy, ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS). 2017, China. A* in CORE ranking.
- Muhammad Yaseen Khan, Shah Muhammad Emaduddin, & Khurum Nazir Junejo “Harnessing English Sentiment Lexicons for Polarity Detection in Urdu Tweets: A Baseline Approach”, 11th IEEE Int. Conference on Semantic Computing, 2017, US.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, & David Yau, “Data Driven Physical Modelling for Intrusion Detection in Cyber Physical Systems”, Singapore Cybersecurity Conference 2016, Singapore.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Jonathan Goh, “Behavior-Based Attack Detection and Classification in Cyber Physical Systems Using Machine Learning”, ACM Cyber-Physical System Security Workshop, 11th ACM Asia Conference on Computer & Communications Security (ASIACCS) 2016, China. A* in CORE ranking.
- Jonathan Goh, Sridhar Adepu, Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Aditya Mathur, “A Dataset to Support Research in the Design of Secure Water Treatment Systems”, 11th International Conference on Critical Information Infrastructures Security (CRITIS), 2016, France. C in CORE ranking.
- Faizan Jawaid, and Khurum Nazir Junejo, “Predicting Daily Mean Solar Power Using Machine Learning Regression Techniques”, 6th International Conference on Innovative Computing Technology (INTECH) 2016, Ireland.
- Farooq Ahmed Zuberi, Shankar Khatri, & Khurum Nazir Junejo, “Dynamic Gesture Recognition using Machine Learning Techniques & Factors Affecting its Accuracy”, 6th Int. Conf. on Innovative Computing Technology (INTECH) 2016, Ireland.
- Emaan Abdul Majeed, & Khurum Nazir Junejo, “Grade Prediction Using Supervised Machine Learning”, 4th Global Summit on Education, 2016, Malaysia.
- S. Musa Ali, Zaid Ali Darbar, & Khurum Nazir Junejo, “Age Estimation from Facial Images Using Biometric Ratios and Wrinkle Analysis”, 5th National Symposium on Information Technology: Towards New Smart World 2015, Saudi Arabia.
- Imran Junejo, Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Zaher Al Aghbari, “Shapelets for Human Action Recognition”, 26th International Conference on Computer Animation and Social Agents 2013, Turkey.
- Fahad Javed, Malik Tahir Hassan, Khurum Nazir Junejo, Naveed Arshad, & Asim Karim, “Self-Calibration: Enabling Self-management in Autonomous Systems by Preserving Model Fidelity”, International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems, (ICECCS) 2012, France. A in CORE ranking.
- Malik Tahir Hassan, Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Asim Karim, “Learning and Predicting Key Web Navigation Patterns Using Bayesian Models”, in proceedings of Springer LNCS International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications, (ICCSA) 2009, Korea. C in CORE ranking.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Asim Karim, “A Robust Discriminative Term Weighting based Linear Discriminant Method for Text Classification”, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, (ICDM 2008), Italy. A* in CORE ranking.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Asim Karim, “PSSF: A Novel Statistical Approach for Personalized Service-side Spam Filtering”, IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence, (WI) 2007, US. B in CORE ranking.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Asim Karim, “Automatic Personalized Spam Filtering through Significant Word Modeling”, 19th IEEE International Conference on Tools with AI, (ICTAI) 2007, Greece. B in CORE ranking.
- Malik Tahir Hassan, Khurum Nazir Junejo, & Asim Karim, “Bayesian Inference for Web Surfer Behavior Prediction”, Discovery Challenge Workshop, 18th European Conference on Machine Learning, (ECML) 2007, Poland. A in CORE ranking.
- Khurum Nazir Junejo, Mirza Muhammad Yousaf, & Asim Karim, “A Two-Pass Statistical Approach for Automatic Personalized Spam Filtering”, Discovery Challenge Workshop, 17th European Conference on Machine Learning, (ECML) 2006, Berlin, Germany. A in CORE ranking.