Dr. Asim Khwaja is an Assistant Professor of Decision Sciences at KSBL. He has over 20 years of experience as a researcher, educator, and an industry professional.
He is a dedicated educationist with interest in all levels from K-12 and upwards. He has experimented with different learning strategies and has spoken on different issues related to early education. His research interests have been devoted to the intersection of computer science and human biology, and he has worked with reputed organizations across United States of America (USA), Pakistan and Australia including Intel and Verizon Data Services.
Dr. Khwaja completed his Ph.D. in Information Sciences & Engineering from Australian National University, Australia and his Masters in Computer Science from Arizona State University, USA.
- Ph.D., Information Sciences & Engineering (Computer Vision)
The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Thesis: Exploring the Visual System and its Applications in Image Reconstruction, Contrast Enhancement, and Object Recognition
- MS, Computer Science (Computer Graphics, CAGD, & Software Engineering)
Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA
Graduated with a cumulative GPA of 4.0/4.0
Thesis: Inverse Kinematics of Arbitrary Robotic Manipulators using Genetic Algorithms
- BE, Electrical Engineering
N.E.D. University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan
Final Project: Optical Character Recognition using Artificial Neural Networks
2013 First-Aid Training, St John Ambulance, Australia
2008 Communicating Science to Peers Workshop, ANU College of Science, Australia
1999 Time Management Workshop, Verizon Data Services, USA
2015 Sleep Management Workshop, TimeLenders, Pakistan
2016 Strategic Time Management Workshop, TimeLenders, Pakistan
Strategic Vision Workshop, TimeLenders, Pakistan
- DHA Suffa University, Karachi, Pakistan Dec 2019 – Current Assistant Professor
- National University of Sciences & Technology (NUST), Karachi, Pakistan Apr 2014 – Dec 2019 Assistant Professor
- University of Canberra, Canberra, Australia Jan 2009 – Dec 2013 Lecturer / Research Assistant
- NICTA, Canberra Research Labs, Canberra, Australia Jun 2011 – Aug 2011 Research Engineer
- The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia 2007 – 2010 PhD Candidate / Software Developer / Teaching Assistant
- NICTA, Canberra Research Labs, Canberra, Australia 2007 Web Developer / Assistant Conference Organizer
- National University of Sciences & Technology (NUST), Karachi, Pakistan 2004 – 2007 Lecturer / Hon. Asst. Professor
- Intel Corporation, Chandler, Arizona, USA 2000 – 2003 Systems Validation Engineer / Software Engineer
- Verizon Data Services, Dallas, Texas, USA 1999 – 2000 Software Systems Architect
- Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA 1996 – 1998 Teaching Assistant / Software Developer
- Workshops Conducted:
- Sleep Science (Personal Development) PNEC, NUST
- The Power of Belief (Personal Development, Psychology) PNEC, NUST
- Is Seeing Believing + The Invisible Gorilla (Personal Development, Psychology) PNEC, NUST
- MATLAB Basics (Engineering, Computer Science) PNEC, NUST
- Introduction to Web Development (Computer Science) PNEC, NUST
- Information Sessions Conducted & TV Appearances:
Dr. Khwaja’s research interests are devoted to the intersection of computer science and human biology – the nexus of machine learning, computer vision, and image processing on one hand, and neuroscience, psychology, and personal development on the other.
Dr. Khwaja has also contributed to social and community work among diverse groups of people in Pakistan, USA, and Australia in the past 18 years. He has delivered lectures worldwide on topics of religion, science, psychology, sociology, and ethics.
- Khwaja, A. Asthana and R. Goecke. Illumination and Expression Invariant Face Recognition Using SSIM Based Sparse Representation. Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition ICPR2010, Istanbul, Turkey, 23-26 Aug. 2010. IEEE.
- Khwaja and R. Goecke. Biologically Inspired Contrast Enhancement Using Asymmetric Gain Control. Proceedings of the International Conference on Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications DICTA2009, Melbourne, Australia, 1-3 Dec. 2009. APRS.
- Asthana, A. Khwaja and R. Goecke. Automatic Frontal Face Annotation and AAM Building for Arbitrary Expressions from a Single Frontal Image Only. Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing ICIP2009, Cairo, Egypt, 7-11 Nov. 2009. IEEE.
- Khwaja and R. Goecke. Image Reconstruction from Contrast Information. In Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA 2008), Canberra, Australia, 1-3 December 2008. APRS.
- Khwaja, M.O. Rahman, M.G. Wagner. Inverse Kinematics of Arbitrary Robotic Manipulators using Genetic Algorithms. 6th International Symposium on Advances in Robot Kinematics, Austria, June 29 – July 4, 1998.
- Khwaja. Handling Chaos with Neural Networks. Presented in the 1993 student seminar of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers of Pakistan (IEEEP), Karachi, Pakistan, 1993